Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Did You Quit Blogging? for Planter Wannabes

I have done a lot of hard things in 41 years.

I played some college football - Samford University. Football was like a job - up very early for workouts - school - practice - workouts - study hall - sleep - then start over.

At 30 I left a fun, good paying job and moved to another city in order to go back to school. We moved with 2 little ones, went 9 months without a job - drained all our resources, in school full time taking an average of 15 hours or so per semester I found a job working at something I hated for 35 hours p/week. I also taught in a local church as well. Then - while still in school - I took a church position as pastor and finished school. Full time school, full time job, full time fam.

I took an associate position at another church. I was the only staff pastor without an assistant, or secretary, or whatever you want to call it. During the busy months I worked 60 plus hours and was on call often! I worked almost every church event, started new ministries, expanded ministries...

But none of it compares to the past year and a half.
At the end of 2008 New City would have been considered a very successful church plant. We were pushing 150 in attendance and growing. We were connected to the city in amazing ways. The 567 was nominated as one of the city's best new businesses. Three guys were in the process of changing their entire lives in order to join us - moving from as far away as Spokane, WA.

Today those guys are here and we are creeping up to 200 in weekly attendance. I am daily amazed at the new doors opening in the city. We didn't win the best new business, but our events are at the 567 are generally a success and things are going great.

And I am exhausted.

Most weeks are still 7 days a week,
I am cramming to get a sermon done in 1/4 of the time I used to spend,
I meet with more people and more groups than I ever have in my entire life,
We are entering into some great planning for our future,
I coach 3 other church planters (and love them) and have a relationship with a 4th guy,
I have a wife and 3 kids,
I have friends,
I have guys who need my attention,
I have a young congregation with 3 weddings coming up (counseling, planning...)
I have a church planter assessment this weekend in ATL for a potential A-29er,
I have a memorial service in Woodstock,
We are growing
We are reaching new people

And I am exhausted.

A friend called today and asked me during the conversation, 'So, did you quit blogging? I haven't seen anything from you in a while.'
No. I haven't. Not much time lately.

For any would be planter who may see the 'glitter' of a Mark Driscoll, or Matt Chandler, or one of those guys...
Know that this is the hardest thing you will ever do.
Probably, or at least potentially the most rewarding - but almost certainly the hardest.