Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Something Crazy

We needed space for our New City band to practice, and we needed a place to gather for teaching/meetings and I needed an office. A couple of us talked about our needs and our mission in the city - Gospel Transformation. I wish I could tell you how smart we were as we laid out an incredible plan on how to use our space for the mission - but I can't. We knew that we wanted the space to be for the good of the city, and we wanted it to be a place where people from all over middle Georgia gathered - to see art or to hear really good music. So we proceeded - without a plan. Piece by piece it quickly came together - paint colors, carpet, stage, a sound system, sound/art panels, lighting, tables and chairs... and a name - the 567 cafe.
And Something Crazy happened.
People started coming. Art began rotating monthly. Musicians started asking to play here. And I sit today - a year later - in utter amazement. I cannot tell you the number of conversations about Jesus that I have had with patrons, artists, and musicians from all over the country. Stunned. This is crazy. This weekend we should have 2 packed nights of incredible music and opportunities to meet a ton of new people.
Take a minute to check out some of the talent that will be playing at my office:

This Saturday - Eleisha Eagle




June 5 - Ken Will Morton




August 1 - Joy Whitlock