Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Praying for Murray... join me

One of the joys of my heart right now is our association with Acts 29. I am constantly encouraged, fed, led, and humbled by God's work in this network of sold out church planters (I'm not sure I deserve such company). Today I was humbled to receive an e-mail from a fellow planter - Murray McLellan. Murray and his wife Cheryl are planting in Saskatoon, Canada and went through Acts 29 Bootcamp and assessment with Amy and me. Murray and Cheryl are in one of the hardest cities in the world - unchurched and happy to be so. Below is Murray's e-mail response after hearing that NCCd would be one of 12 churches sending $400 to help meet some monthly needs for the church plant:

Hi Keith!
Thank you so much for your prayers and the gift! We are just in the process of moving from a small apartment to a small house. Our new address is:
Murray and Cheryl McLellan
730 Lamarsh Lane
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
S7W 1B6

I have attached a brochure in pdf that we have put together if you would like to share that with the saints there. Please thank them for us.

We have had 3 young couples move out of the city just in the past week. They are still planning to drive in on Sundays, but this really hampers their ability to build
relationships in the city. This is a bit of a blow, but the Lord knows what He is doing.

I had a wonderful opportunity to meet with a self-proclaimed humanist at McDonald’s last night. We dug through the Scriptures for a couple of hours, and I tried to proclaim Jesus and how the gospel is distinct from religion. He really seemed to take it in, and saw that only such a gospel with such a Savior could provide any real hope for a sinner such as he views himself to be. He is intending to come on Sundays and continue to learn from the words of God. Please pray that the seeds sown would be watered by the Word and the Spirit to bring forth fruit to the glory of God.

The Lord has also been doing an incredible work in my wife’s sister and her husband. They have moved to Saskatoon recently. Garry (my brother-in-law) was a God-hating, church-hating rough and gruff truck driver. Cheryl and I made a point of connecting with them, and the Lord prepared the hearts and opened a door to speak of Jesus. The transformation has been remarkable. (I love to watch the Lord speak life to dead hearts!) To see this man weep now as he hears the word of grace to sinners through Jesus’ perfect work on the cross brings tears to my eyes even as I type this! Both Garry and Susan (my wife’s sister) have been faithfully gathering with us each Sunday – growing week by week. We have also been meeting with them and another two couples every other week to study the Word and encourage them in the Way.

Until Garry and Susan, my wife and I were the only “brands plucked from the fire” in either of our respective families. Now my wife, Cheryl, has a “sister-sister”!

I am still waiting to hear regarding my employment for the next school term beginning this fall. I am driving the 70 miles (one way) to Leask Monday through Friday, where I teach High School Math in the mornings. I can usually be home by around 2:00 p.m. I am really hoping to be able to teach full days – every second day (which would keep me at half time – but would save me gas money and travel time – by only teaching every second day. For this to happen, I would need another teacher to volunteer to teach half time – to “team teach” with. It doesn’t seem likely, but God is certainly able to work things out. If I need to continue the daily drive – we will remain content and strive to do what we are able with the time we have.

Probably my biggest prayer request would be to pray for a leadership team. There is a young man whom I have been discipling from a distance (online using skype). He is planning on living in Saskatoon this May and entering into an internship relationship. I desire to gather and train more men, as my heart’s desire is not simply to plant one church, but to see a church planting movement in western Canada – where there seems to be a real famine for the Word of God.

Please say hi to Amy from Cheryl and I

I check out your web site from time to time – as well as “catch” little bits of what is
happening for you on the forum. We will continue to pray for the advance of Christ’s kingdom and glory in and through New City Church.

Much love in the Savior,
Murray