Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Marty

Marty is a year older than I am. He grew up two streets over from me in Shurlington - pretty sure he grew up with his grandparents. Marty was pretty rough even back then. Years went by after high school before I saw Marty again. I was taking blankets out one winter to Macon's homeless and met up with Marty - he was living under one of the bridges on the Ocmulgee. Marty was 27 or so and living a life of drugs and alcohol - this, the bridge was his home - had been for years.
15 years later I notice a guy on Sunday morning at our New City gathering who looks to be homeless. I go over to talk to him - his eyes looked incredibly familiar but he is weathered and rough. He avoided much conversation and didn't offer his name. The following week he was back - this time it clicked - the eyes gave him away - Are you Marty? I asked. Stunned he said yes. Marty - now 40 or 41 had been living on the streets since High School. He had been sober for 2 weeks.

Coming in this morning I was thinking of Marty - he hasn't been around for more than a month. I was hoping he was OK and as I though about him I was suddenly hit with a hope - maybe Marty is off the streets... It doesn't happen often down here - but sometimes it does.

Later this morning I walked out of the 567 to take a phone call when out of nowhere a smiling, tatted up ghost from the past re-appeared - yeah, it was Marty. He has been off of the streets and in an apartment for 2 weeks - sober - living with someone and attending AA meetings. He just stopped by to tell me he was off the streets. He looked great - well - for a guy who has spent more of his life on the streets than in a home! It is strange - and I know not great - but for the first time in my life I was glad to hear that a guy had moved in with a chick he wasn't married to.

So - today I am happy for Marty! Reallllly happy! The odds are not in Marty's favor for a lasting relationship or for sobriety - but today I am happy for Marty.