Friday, August 15, 2008

Gospel Stories

I asked in our newsletter for NCCders to share their Gospel Story - How has the Gospel , through New City, impacted your life? No matter what our attendance numbers may be, the real test of our success is seen in the accomplishment of our mission - Gospel transformation. Here is our first Gospel Story from Lex Hamil. Lex is a PK (preacher's kid) who grew up in church. He served as a deacon in his previous church for 10 years and taught Sunday School. Here's Lex's story:


Church has been a big part of my life. My parents took me and I took my family. I found the body of Christ in the traditional church to be dysfunctional, having few characteristics of what the church should be. One Sunday a sermon about Jesus calling the disciples brought the realization that casting nets, rowing boats and cleaning fish was not where spiritual growth was going to happen. I hungered for the adventure of following Christ.


New City Church was mentioned by a friend, so I checked out the website. The band and contemporary music was why our family went to check it out. Wow, it sure was
different, meeting in a theater, coffee served, friendly people and casual dress. I was immediately comfortable. But the Bible teaching from Keith was not comforting. It was powerful Gospel preaching like I had never heard. This caused me to have to relearn the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I started to read theological books, went to a class, listened to the sermons again on line and checked out other sites in the Acts 29 network. This process was difficult, causing doubts about my understanding of salvation and my identity.


It took six months to start to see what was going on. The Gospel light had been shined on my heart and I had tried to hide by using my mind to make the Gospel fit my life. Peace came when it was revealed that my problem was me. I had to apply my life to the Gospel, change my attitude and outlook. Gods word says we should love, accept, forgive, be grateful and know He is our Creator and Father. He wants us to be a happy people, to work the garden and enjoy our day in the sun. He wants us to not be afraid and know that all we need is in the Gospel. He also tells us to wait on the lord. We don't have to keep asking Him what can I do so you will love me, if we just love and worship Him He will provide opportunity to share that Gospel light with someone else.
The Gospel teaching and loving community at New City will be a Journey in Gospel Land transforming lives and providing a taste of what Heaven is going to be.

Lex