Monday, August 4, 2008

Spreading the Gospel Downtown...

Friday night was a great night downtown - great crowds gathered up and down the streets for First Friday. Bands played inside and out as music filled the air. I was able to take a little stroll around the block - something I am usually too busy for. I walked down Cherry Street and passed the crowd gathered at the Rookery listening to Caleb Grimes - I emerged and just a few doors down ran into a large crowd gathered and mostly standing against the wall of the buildings. In the middle of the sidewalk was the Street Evangelist preaching - from what I could tell - to the choir.
I walked on and thought as I did.
The contrast between the Street Preacher and those who likely came from his church to support him and evangelize downtown and the crowd gathered at the 567 was stark. This isn't a post to say one is right and one is not - simply a post of observations.
On my return trip someone from the crowd gathered along the wall reached out to me with a tract.
Back at the 567 a crowd had gathered to hear Megan North and Chuck Ray. Several New City folks had gathered - some working the coffee and selling cokes and water. Some working on the sound mix. Others talking with friends - old and new. In our crowd I talked with a local artist who rarely attends church, but when she does it is not a Christian church. She likes the 567 and looks forward to seeing art shows and music in our space - the conversations will continue. I also met another artist who may help us with some art shows at the 567. He seems like a great guy - doesn't go to church - has no church background - and from what I understand, wouldn't consider himself a Christian. He and I are supposed to meet sometime this week. I also met Caleb Grimes - a local musician. I introduced myself to him to talk about him playing the 567 someday - Megan had already talked to him about the 567. In a series of interesting events our conversation turned to church - Caleb is a newly wed, his dad is a Baptist preacher - he says they are coming to New City next week. I also talked with a musician who has become a friend - we talked a little about the Bible - can we really believe it is true? She wrestles with that - some things she "just doesn't like." I heard other NCCd folks having conversations about the cafe and about church.
And I wondered how many conversation that the street preacher had that night with seekers, with doubters, and with just plain unbelievers.
I love NCCd. I love the 567.
I love the opportunities for gospel transformation that seem to flow naturally from both.