Monday, July 27, 2009

Chris Horne said...

I was tagged in a note that Chris wrote about Bragg Jam. Chris actually spent a pretty good bit of time hanging out with us at the 567 (this years only non-alcoholic venue - we didn't serve alcohol but I am pretty sure we had some alcoholics). Here's a portion of Chris' note:
But then, it was 9pm. Oh Dorian was delayed because Heather Kemp had been playing with Coyote Bones (who I'm upset I missed... likewise, I'm upset I missed Good Country People and St. Francis at the Shamrock, Red Fish Blu Fish and Deadstring Bros at Rivalrys). So king of the downtown gypsy blues, Nam Bui, and his misanthropic jazz players, locked it down for a capacity crowd in the suddenly tiny 567 Cafe.

Everyone stayed for Oh Dorian and though she rambled and joked for about a half hour before playing, the room was absolutely transfixed by the music. Folks, I'm telling you right now: you haven't heard the half of it. And when you do, when November rolls around and that full-length comes out, you're going to be stunned. It was just Heather and her keyboard and guitar on Saturday, but these songs she's been recording, holy cow. Big. Full. Amazing. Just you wait and see.

My effort to get out of town for an hour or so was thwarted but alright as I caught up with folks and milled around the outside of places with music pouring out of them. Before I knew it, I was back inside the 567 (who'd have thought I'd have spent so much time inside a lil' Christian coffee shop on the biggest drinking night of the year?) for The Red Swill, who provoked Mr. Floco Torres to "dance".

Though he may have said this to every venue - Chris told me the 567 might have been the sweetest spot to be in all night. We had a great night serving our city - thanks to all of our volunteers - and we had great music all night long! I can't wait to hear the Bragg Jam #s from this year and I look forward to being a part of next years festival.