Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Downtown Destinations

This restaurant has two personalities, and I'm friends with both.

In the Limelight: Michael's on Mulberry AND Between the Bread
Where it's at: On the corner of Mulberry (duh) and Second
What to do: Eat at Between the Bread by day and Michael's by night

Yes, it's two different restaurants, with two different names, in one place. Before I begin, I want to say that I have debated for hours on end as to whether I should split this into two separate blog posts because of the split personalities. Ok, that's not really true. It was more like a fleeting thought that I quickly dismissed because it meant more work for me. But it would have been kind of funny, right?

Anyway, I ate at Michael's for the first time a couple of months ago, but I just ate at Between the Bread Monday. As far as atmosphere goes, Between the Bread is bright, casual and comfortable. I sang, whistled and bursted into laughter multiple times while there, and no one seemed to notice, which tells you a little about noise level. Michael's is a lot like Between the Bread, only darker. They are the same place, after all.

The reason for the two names is that they have two completely different menus. If you're smart, you might get that Between the Bread offers mostly sandwiches. If you're like me, you might look at the menu for a while, notice that everything comes on some kind of roll, then the name will start to make sense, but only after someone explains it. Michael's is a bit more formal, like your typical salad, entree and dessert place.

At Michael's, I had the Grilled Salmon, and, if you like salmon, I'd highly recommend it. It had a really great flavor. For dessert, I had some chocolatey goodness that looked like a piece of cake and tasted like heaven. [I really love chocolate.] Michael's also has steak, sea bass, chicken and pasta. Entrees run from $18-24.

At Between the Bread, I had the Blackened Chicken Sandwich with fries. It was really, really good, though the chicken was a tad slippery, so it almost got away from me and the bun a few times. Between the Bread offers lots more sandwiches, salads, soups and pasta. Lunch will run you $7-10.

Between the Bread is open from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday-Friday. Michael's opens at 5 p.m. for dinner Monday-Saturday. Give them both a whirl!