Saturday, July 11, 2009

Downtown Destinations

This restaurant has a whole lot of diversity.

In the Limelight: Greek Corner Deli
Where it's at: the corner of Cherry and Second
What to do: Eat (sorry I don't have anything clever to go here)

It's been a few days since I made a DD post, because I thought I hadn't experienced anything new downtown to share with all of you. Clearly, I was wrong. Here I am, and I am posting about the Greek Corner Deli. It seems to me like one of those obvious places, but if China Wok gets a post, then GCD definitely should. I'm just saying.

GCD (that's a heck of a lot easier than typing out the whole name) doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside it feels like Greece in a way- plain white walls with scenic pictures of the beautiful Greek coastline. Every time I have been there, they have been pretty hopping. It's a popular place.

If you haven't visited GCD, maybe it's because you're a little alarmed by the Greek-ness of it. You're just not sure if you like Greek food. Well, have no fear, they mix in a little France, Italy, Cuba and America, so you're bound to find something you like. The menu includes salads, hot sandwiches, cold subs, and personal pita pizzas. If you're worried about the kids, they have a grilled cheese sandwich and a hot dog (the American representatives on the menu).

My first time, I had the Cuban, which is ham, pork, salami, pickles, spicy mustard and Swiss Cheese. (See, that is a lot of diversity in just one sandwich!) It's a hot sandwich, so they press it in a little grill thing and the cheese is all melty and delicious. My second time, I had the French dip (still more diversity), which is roast beef and provolone cheese with au jus. It was very good, but I could have stood for it to have a bit more kick to it. I have also heard from reliable sources that the Steak and Cheese hoagie and the Gyro are very good.

So don't be intimidated by the fact that is Greek. Come to the Cox for church, then head to the corner for lunch!