Tuesday, October 27, 2009

in the beginning...

I was asked to contribute to a piece that is being written for the FPD Alumni News. The article will feature comments from several FPD grads who are very involved in downtown and will describe why we love downtown and are so involved. Thinking about what to write reminded me of those first days downtown - and how we got here. Below is one of my first posts on this blog:
so as I was dreaming of
WHERE I might plant a church - downtown kept
coming to mind. A lot
of work and $ is going into rehabbingdowntown Macon. New facades on old buildings, a new Sports Hall of Fame and Music Hall of fame, new stores, pubs, and sandwich shops. Caleb, our student minister and I went to lunch. I decided I would take a look around downtown and introduce Caleb to some areas of Macon he might not know. We had lunch at the Rookery - great burgers and walked around downtown.

It made my heart BEAT.

There was LIFE.

People walking and talking, having lunch at tables along the street.

There was the occasional homeless/street person, the hospital worker, the starched-shirted businessmen, and the whole spectrum of human colors.

That was the place.

That is the place.