Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Downtown Destinations

You don't have to go a long way for a Nu-Way. It's just up the street.

In the Limelight: Nu-Way Weiner Stand
Where it's at: 430 Cotton Ave
What to do: Get a taste of Macon's history in a hot dog

I have been interning for New City/567/City Watch for over two months now. Most weeks I'm in Macon at least 6 days (I live in Warner Robins). Most of those days, I'm downtown. But until today, I had never eaten at the legendary Nu-Way Weiner
Stand. Some might call that a travesty. Others might call it God's mercy...Amy. :-)

My reason for not going was that it's HOT DOGS. Why would I go to a restaurant to eat a hot dog? It's like going out for breakfast and ordering a poptart. I was told, though, that not doing a post on Nu-Way was NOT an option, because that Nu-Way right there on Cotton Avenue is the original and has been sitting there serving weiners all the way since 1916. For more history, check out Nu-Way's website.

There must be something to it, because it was completely full except for seats at the bar when I was there. As I've said before, a full house says a whole lot about a place. I had a hamburger, hot dog, and fries. (No, I didn't eat every last bite, but I ate most of it.) The hamburger and hot dog come "all the way" meaning they have a chili-like meat sauce with pickles and onions. I asked for no onions, so I guess mine were "most of the way."

I will say that I was cured of my Don't-go-out-to-eat-and-order-a-hot-dog mindset. The hot dog is definitely worth going somewhere to get. The hamburger was good, too, but I particularly enjoyed the hot dog. I think sitting at the bar added to the Nu-Way experience as well.

If you're going on a budget, Nu-Way is definitely the winner for the cheapest lunch downtown. A hot dog is $1.69, and you can throw in a small fry for $1.49 and a drink for $1.59, with their special flakey ice. The lovely smell of Nu-Way and any effects the food may have on your digestive tract are completely free. Let's just say, your Nu-Way experience doesn't end when you leave.

Apparently a lot of people would go a long way for a Nu-Way, and you don't have to go far at all. So don't be like me and go two months without making a visit to the original Nu-Way Weiner Stand!

Keith and our waiter Quinn