Tuesday, August 25, 2009

To Whom Do We Show Compassion? Homelessness in the City (5) Accused

Last night someone from our downtown homeless community called me outside. She introduced me to a non-homeless friend. Then quickly the conversation shifted to an accusation from my homeless regular at the 567. She said that a mutual friend and advocate for the homeless told her that "he just wants to get homeless people off the street." The statement from the advocate for the homeless was meant as a warning, at least that is the way the homeless person took it. The warning - don't trust him he just wants you to go away.
I asked my homeless regular - 'Do you believe I love you?' Yes, she answered.
'Do you believe that I care about what happens to you and want what is best for you?' I do, Rev - she answered.
'Then don't worry about what other people say. I love you and want what is best for you," I said.

Now - thinking more about the accusation - it is true.
I do want her off the street.
I do want her out of here.
I want her healthy, and fed, and sleeping in a comfortable bed - safe. I want her restored. I want to see her taken care of as she needs to be.

Almost every day we talk. Almost every day she gets a soda from me. I have given her clothes, and food, and more - and every day she is there - on the street. Sleeping at night in her cat hole each night. She receives food from local 'soup kitchens.' She gets clothes there as well. Others help her in ways I don't even know.
And even now she sits on the bench in front of my office.
Yes - I want her off the street.

For my accuser(s) - the soup kitchen and sodas isn't working... what will?