Thursday, September 3, 2009

To Whom Do We Show Compassion? Homelessness in the City (6) My Final Answer

Today included an additional meeting and one more lengthy e-mail with regards to my position on homelessness in our city. Below is an e-mail response that I sent out this afternoon. It will serve as my 'Final Answer' with regards to the issue for now...

Dear Sam,
I do wish that you had called me. Yes I am busy. Busy all the time - that is just life. I am not too busy to make time for you guys.

I admit that my handling of personal attacks regarding the blog was not best. I should have simply not responded. I should have let the critics speak and leave it at that. You guys were different (from these critics) - you were here (at New City) and an active part of the fellowship - I will make time to listen and talk - to hear your side and express mine.

What you and the critics do not know and see, is how much food, clothing, soup, deodorant, cold drinks, and the like that I give away. You don't see the checks that I have written for rooms.
You don't know the many times I have given rides or just listened.

I am helping _______ and _________ get settled in a room at the ____________ - delivered a microwave, tomorrow a tv (that is being donated). They have food, and clothing. We are working on getting a bed and other things. I tried to express that in the blog at various times.
I love these people and want to see them get better, get healed, and become a thriving part of society.

I do admit that my patience is low for some.
The maybe 50% who lie, manipulate, and use.
The ones who are already drinking when I get here at 9 and who are fighting by 4.
They hurt the businesses and therefore hurt owners and employees as well as the potential for growth in the city.

One of these is named __________. He is 50ish. He came to church for a while - mostly ate donuts, had coffee, and slept.
I have listened and talked to _________ much - he is a good talker and tells great sad stories.
But what he wants is for you to give him money and anything else that he needs or wants.
He gets $948 a month disability (I think that is what he told me).
He eats every free meal downtown
He gets food stamps and groceries from shelters and food banks
$948 with all of those services could provide for ________. My grandfather lived on less for many years (and I never knew it)
Instead, ________ drinks and smokes all of his money
He uses and manipulates so that he can get more money to get more alcohol or more drugs
I do not believe I am loving _________ by feeding his laziness or his addictions. I do not believe that is what Scripture teaches us to do.

I also firmly believe that there are many who give and minister to the homeless and to the vagrants and they do so to the detriment of the business owners.
God loves both and so should we.
So - I believe that we should work hard to help both.
And I do.

One of the positives of stirring both sides on this issue to think and act differently is this:
I am talking with a 501c3 downtown who lacks money but wants to start a Day Shelter to help those who will be helped and to get them off the street during the day - showers - services - clothing...
I am talking with developers and foundations who have money but lack know how - they want a Day Shelter as well.
My hope is to get the 2 together and make it happen.

So - contrary to what you think, or (others) - I am working hard to help those on our streets. Likewise I am working hard for our businesses.

I will gladly sit down with you guys at any time.
Keith