Monday, June 30, 2008

Scattered, Covered, Mostly Smothered ...

Scattered, Covered, and mostly Smothered
and more than ever, drawn to the Gospel.
The incredible weight of sin became very real to me this past Sunday. When I stood to teach, that weight nearly smothered me. I could hardly speak. My notes served me little. One of the most painful and difficult days of teaching/preaching I have ever faced.
The words that kept coming to mind were - 'there is so much at stake.' There is so much at stake. There is so much at stake. The weight of the moment, and the enormous ramifications of sin fell almost silent in comparison to the burden I suddenly felt for people - all people - our people - those who were present Sunday, and the terrible injustice that preachers and teachers and churches have done to them - to us. What injustice? Not teaching the true Gospel of Jesus Christ. Not helping us to see that the Gospel at work in us is more than a ticket to heaven some day in the future - it is Jesus at work in us NOW - shaping us into His image, helping us to live like Him, and to love like Him. The Gospel at work in me transforms me - I CAN live like Him, I CAN love like Him, I CAN forgive, I CAN accept, I CAN trust, I CAN - not I, but Christ in me. I can raise my children as a gospel dad, I can love my wife as a gospel husband, I can pastor as a gospel elder, I can BE Him, not I but Christ in me. As I am forgiven, I forgive. As I am accepted, I accept. As I am loved, I love. As I am served, I serve.
Still scattered. No longer smothered.
More than ever, drawn to the gospel.