Sunday, May 11, 2008

Not Rain, Not Sleet...

At 5:45am we were awakened to the warning sirens - there was a tornado warning for our county. We watched the tv screen all morning to see where the storms would strike. At 7 something we lost power.
Do we have church or not? I had no idea what was going on in the world as we had lost power. I packed a bag and headed to the theater. The roads were clear - NO traffic - traffic lights were out all the way into the city. The theater and downtown had power. I walked in and Russell was setting up for the band. I opened the lap top to check out the world - a few church closings, but no mention of major damage - in walked some of the band crew - church was on. Our crowd was smaller but still in the mid 80s, not bad I thought, for the storms that rolled through. We had our service, had a great covenant time with 4 families (our version of a Baby Dedication - on steroids). I heard just before our service started that the Bibb County Sheriffs Dept was urging residence to stay home. I had no idea why.
After church we drove to Amy's parent's house - I was shocked! Twice we were detoured for downed trees and power lines. Macon College's campus looked like a war zone - hundreds and hundreds of trees snapped off, Trees in the roads, trees on homes - no doubt a tornado's damage. I had no idea the amount of destruction. It is hard to believe that there weren't more injuries and deaths. We are thankful for God's protection and provision.