Thursday, May 10, 2007

Missional Communication - are we with and for?

We had a great discussion last night in chapter 5 of George Hunter's The Celtic Way of Evangelism. The main area of interest centered on how Patrick's message to the Celts was received and why. The Celts perceived that Patrick was both FOR (good will)the people and WITH (identification) them. With Patrick it was amazingly clear through his love and involvement with the people that their perception was correct, he was indeed WITH them and FOR them.
The question was asked: How do the unreached people in our area perceive us? Do they believe that we are FOR them - acting for their good? Do they believe that we are WITH them - we identify with their lives and all of its struggles and pains? Could it be that our message - the gospel - is not received (at least when it is given) because of the fact that we are not perceived to be WITH or FOR the unreached?
Overwhelmingly we agreed that the common perception - sometimes rightly so and sometimes wrongly - is that we are not looking out FOR the people around us and that we certainly do not identify WITH them. Therefore, in distrust and uncertainty our message is ineffective at best.
We also agreed that until we are willing to get out of the walls of the building we call a church and engage people where they are, in LOVE, our message will likely continue to fall on deaf ears.
Great discussion!
Much to dwell on.
Lord I know it is you who opens eyes and softens hearts - do so in me.
Open my eyes to see the people around me.
Soften my heart to feel their deepest longings and needs.
Fill my heart with love and compassion
with kindness and patience
more than words, I truly want to be FOR the people of my city
I want to be for their good
to stand for the oppressed
to strengthen the weak
I want to be WITH them
to know what they feel
to understand their needs, desires and fears
I pray that the message of Christ might be heard and received and believed from me
I pray for the transformation of myself - my church - and my city