Friday, August 24, 2007

God stuff...

I just wanted to share some amazing happenings this week as God does his thing with New City Church!
Last Weekend: The weekend had me worked up! The list of needs seemed to be growing and the cost of the needs is pretty high. I learned we might not be able to use the Capitol Theater's projector and screen - PANIC!
Ran into an old friend and former high school teammate at Robby's football practice. Our son's will be on the same team. We began to talk about the new church. He is a brother as well as a friend.
Monday: We get a check for just over $3,000 from a church supporter who said they knew there would be some last minute needs!
Thursday: My old teammate calls and we spend a couple of hours together riding to Perry and Warner Robins looking at tucks for his business.
We get back just in time for me to make my 2:00 appt with the folks at the Capitol theater to talk about screen and projector.
Turns out the screen and projector will be usable after all! (Whew!)
Shannon, the leader of our band really wanted me to ask about the band having a practice opportunity at the theater before our 1st Sunday. I told him a week ago that I would ask when I met with the Capitol crew, but I knew their schedule was crazy and just couldn't see them spending 1/2 a day with us for nothing - not mention that they would have to call in their sound guy for something like that. As we discussed the upcoming service one of the Capitol Theater guys said, "hey maybe we should do a run through with you guys, just to make sure we get everything right - like you want it." as if that wasn't amazing enough, they offered us the day before our service - nothing on the calendar for them that day so the band will have the whole afternoon - then all the sound will be set, and the instruments in place for Sunday! WHAT!?!?! Not only will we get a free practice - we'll have all afternoon and then we will not have the hassle and headache of Sunday morning set up! And I didn't even ask for it - they did!!! WOW.
Friday: Met Greg and Wendy Wood (and Asa) at Mercer University to set up a New City Church table to invite students to join us the 16th. Good time with Greg and Wendy, added several names to our mailing list, and handed out a good many fliers. Good stuff.
More Good stuff... My old teammate called me, he spent some time with his pastor and talked with him about New City Church, telling his Pastor he really thinks that they should help support us, his pastor said, I don't need to pray about this one, we're going to help. I meet with them Thursday for lunch to talk about how they might help us! WOW
Tonight we went to the theater to catch Surf's Up - the movie with the family. One of our NCCd families sent out an e-mail inviting anyone who wanted to to join us all there. We had close to 30 folks there as a result. Those 30 people purchased movie tickets and ate pizza and popcorn - positively impacting the theater's economy - awesome presence and positive impact.
What a week!

UPDATE: I e-mailed Leslie McNeil at the Capitol theater to let her know about how many were present Friday night at the movie. Here is her response:
Hi, Keith!

I saw the numbers for the weekend!! We had over 100 people here to see that movie, in LARGE part thanks to you and New City obviously!
We appreciate the support and look forward to offering New City the same.

Thanks,
Leslie