Thursday, April 5, 2007

Cheater, Cheater...

I hate cheaters...maybe that's a little strong, maybe not. As I began to take steps toward the reality of a church plant - talking with Brad, talking with Shannon - just saying it, I think I'm going to plant a church - I started feeling a little like a cheater. Like I was flirting with another woman, or worse - like I was actually becoming involved! I knew I couldn't pursue a church plant and continue at my present church like there was nothing going on.
Dilemma! If I say something I run the risk of being sent on my way, or being asked to choose one or the other. More to wrestle with.
I talked to a couple of friends over a weekend - began pursuing something secular. That would allow me to work toward this plant and NOT be a cheater.
A week later after lunch with our senior pastor, I couldn't stand it any longer - I had to tell him!
I did. I explained where I felt I needed to be - where I truly thought God was leading me. He said something pretty amazing - Keith, I've thought the same thing about you for the last few months...
We agreed that the time to plant a church was now - not 2 years from now. We agreed that while I can do what I do where I do it - God has shaped me for something different - a different context and culture.
Pastor David is for this. We will work toward our church being the primary planting church. Who knows what the future holds? (God) Maybe the church will back this, maybe not. I hope so. It would make the road a little easier (I think) - a little more secure for me and my family. One way or another I am F R E E! Free to work on planting stuff. Free to pursue that future. Free from being a CHEATER!