Monday, April 23, 2007

Launching...

I went to a Launch Conference last month in Atl. I was introduced to a new way of thinking about starting a church - the Launch (as in like a rocket). The idea is to have monthly meetings (3 to 6) and build toward a Launch date where services become weekly. Good stuff, buy the book, go to the conference - its worth it.
At the conference Scott Whitaker, a church planter from Newnan was introduced. I had met Scott a little over a year ago - I think right before he started holding services, but had no idea I would ever see him again. Nelson Searcy shared a little of Scott's story.
Scott and his family moved to Newnan Ga where they knew no one. After 3 months of meeting people and inviting them (unchurched and unsaved) to be a part of a church plant Scott held his first service. (Don't hold me to the #s but I think I'm close) Scott held 3 monthly services and then Launched. He used attenders and mail outs to build up to the first service. They Launched with 250 in attendance. Their first year has seen fluctuations in the numbers, but after 1 year 2007 has seen an average attendance of 323. That is a Launch. You can check out Scott's church at Stonepoint Christian Church

My previous model for a church plant was - have a Bible study in your living room and when you out-grow it, find a bigger place to meet...when you outgrow that one, find a place to meet... Obviously there are other models that are working.

One cool thing to note is that Newnan is like Macon/Bibb County in a number of ways - similar size, similar churches, 70+% unchurched. Another cool thing is that I have e-mailed Scott for some help and he is more than willing to share with me what he has learned. Looking forward to it.