Saturday, April 7, 2007

Support from a nominal Catholic

I have started working on a budget. I know as I seek support from individuals and other churches this will really be important. My plan for launching is this:
Sept 07 hold 1st MONTHLY service
Oct 07 2nd Monthly Service
Nov 07 3rd, Dec 07 4th monthly service
Launch Large end of January 08 and begin weekly services.
I know that before the launch I want to do a huge mail-out. So I called in a professional mail-out guy. He is a demographics expert. So, I told him what I was working toward - Capitol Theater, the kind of music, the vision of seeing a church engaged in the downtown culture. I asked him if he was familiar with Macon churches. Somewhat, he said, I was raised in a strict Catholic home and haven't really been in church since I was a teen. I guess I rebelled against my up-bringing. We spent a lot of time talking about the church and a little time talking about demographics and mailings. The guy seemed to get more and more excited about this church plant and its potential to reach people as we talked! Anyway - he left, not only telling me he would work on the demographics and pricing, but also dropping names of influential folks that he thought would support the church and be on board with us! Imagine that, support for an evangelical contemporary church with rockin music from a nominal (at best) Catholic!