Sunday, April 15, 2007

exhilarating...

Most of my days are spent in the safety of a church office. In the office I plan discipleship classes, mission trips, and all sorts of other church things for church people. Sometimes I do get out, but usually its with the "beautiful" people of the church to talk about things happening/not happening/needs to be happening at the church.
I have tried to involve myself in motocross - a great subculture of people who need Christ. The problem is, I am so busy with my church stuff that I don't get to ride much and I am almost never able to make it to public tracks.
I have been reminded over and over and over in the last several months of how Jesus spent his time - in part anyway - with "tax gatherers and sinners." Sure, he spent time with his disciples, teaching them, but he also took them with him as he went and ate with the "unsaveable."
Convicting.
I am soooooooo far from ministering like Christ did. The church culture (at least the one I find myself in) demands much of its ministers - much more than allows most ministers to really be Christ-like in ministry.

A cool thing - I have already had a number of opportunities to share my vision for this church with people who likely have no relationship with Christ. In each case I have been able to share with them how he ministered, how we should be his present incarnation in our community and culture and how as Christ followers we should love like he loved, and spend time where he spent time. The truth is, I enjoy that. It is satisfying.
Exhilarating

I can't wait to see who is next.